More women on swings

Experimenting with a few simple postwork effects. Thought it might be worth sharing for those interested in various illustrated-style looks for renders.

First, render saved as a png file with a sepia-ish color background added and then run through Topaz Clean with the Edge Boost preset. I cleaned up some of the halo artifacts.

Base G2F with the Victorian Gown, Nimue Hair, floral crown from Mada Hair, and the free Modualz Floral Swing from RDNA that apparently didn’t make the transition to DAZ. I even used a subsurface shader preset on the leaves and flowers. Not sure it did much, but I hadn’t used any of those presets before so it was worth a “let’s see what this does” moment.

I really like Nimue Hair. It’s beautiful and has several nice styling options, but the back shows a distinct line where the base of the skull meets the neck. I had a hard time easing out that valley. I might retry this and simply parent the hair to the figure and see if it fixes this small defect.

(( Image, btw, inspired by a sketch I found on Pinterest. I’m always trawling Pinterest for render ideas and various inspirations. ))

There are a couple of presets from PostworkShop (now Photo Donut) I use frequently: Architect from the Graphic Arts/Illustration group and Classic Drawing 1 from the Drawing/Pencil group.

The render from the Architect preset was applied to the original image at 50% opacity, then several frame/texture overlays applied:

Did two with the classic drawing preset. For the first one I copied the original image and pasted it over the drawing render with the layer set to color (legacy) at 100%, then added a frame/texture overlay:

Ran the second classic drawing preset through BW Styler for diffusion filter, processing, and color tone effects before adding a frame/texture overlay:

Three different looks, none complicated to pull together. The plugins and PostworkShop/Photo Donut are not free, but comparable results can probably be had from free resources like FotoSketcher, Xero Graphics, or Topaz Simplify which is now part of the free Topaz Studio. (Or other resources I don’t own, of course!)

I used fairly light frame/texture overlays so most were applied to the image as new layer set to Multiply at 100%. Easy enough to dial down for a softer look.

FWIW, I’d advise keeping to solid colors or simple patterns that don’t distort when rendered. Anything too fussy or busy might lead to odd looking results with illustration-like postwork.

Curious about something? Questions? Happy to try and help, though I’m hardly an expert at this sort of thing.


Playing: Oil Painterly Texture


My DAZ PA Sale loot so far has been the Illumberella and the Rim Light Rig. Since I’m heading up north shortly for the annual Cranberry Fest event, they’ll probably be the only things I buy.

So I sat down to play with the lighted umbrella prop, which I love because it’s just so quirky, and made myself do an actual render rather another of my usual test renders. It was inspired by an image I saw on my Pinterest feed some time back.

Also used buildings by 1971S, a few from AntFarm’s Never series, a light set from SickleYield (a PA Xmas freebie a couple years ago), and Oskarsson’s Boulevard Dress for G2F.

I really do like those CoffeeShop Blog textures, though they’re not for every render idea.

Map transfer tutorial? Plus Iray woes

I want to put Monsterina on Hitomi. I know DAZ has a tutorial at YouTube, but it’s a bit fast-paced and I do better with written documentation. A Google search turned up a few, but I didn’t find them as helpful as I’d have liked. Suggestions, anyone?

(( Totally unrelated to the above, HiveWire is getting ready to put out a special edition for Dawn, with new textures, hair, etc. So far, looks pretty nice! I’ll pick it up when it comes out; it’s a decent price for a bundle.))

I’ve slowly been poking around the Iray thing and still find it complex to an off-putting degree. I started with something simple — the light emitter shader preset. Figured it would be a good choice for coflek-gnorg’s multiple Space Segment props, which are difficult for lighting (and cameras.)


1. The original light set up from waaaay back when I built these .daz scenes; 3Delight render.


2. Switched to Iray. Glowy lights, yay! Why aren’t the Bloom parameters with the Emitter ones? I’m sure there’s a reason; just wondering. And why are my white lights yellow? Also, I forgot to apply the Iray UberBase to the rest of the ship segments.


3. Oh, that’s why my lights were yellow; shouldn’t the default temperature be a neutral white? Without the Headlamp on Auto, the interior was too dark. I fiddled around with the environment map settings, but didn’t see much of a difference. Also didn’t see much of a difference after adding the Iray Uber base, but that’s something for another day. I probably needed to up the intensity of the emitter shader. Overall, not bad, but the scene is a bit dark. I need to figure out how to correct this.


4. Back to 3Delight. I adjusted the original uber light; the interior before was a little too bright.


5. Deleted the lights and used AoA’s Ambient Light base. Not bad, if now a little too dark. Should’ve kept the spec lights.


6. Combined #4 and #5 in postwork. I like this, though I still want a glowy light effect.


7. Ran the image through Flaming Pear’s Glare filter. Took 5 seconds. Not realism based, I know, but it just looks better to my eye and takes way less time than fiddling for hours with settings I’m struggling to understand.

I don’t see myself giving up on 3Delight any time soon, tbh.